Butler Opera Theatre performs its annual fall scenes, featuring Mozart’s comic masterpiece Così fan Tutte creatively reset in a groovy era!
• Fidelio – Act 1 Duet “Jetzt, Schätzchen, jetzt sind wir allein” – IN GERMAN with subtitles – Beethoven would have turned 249 in December. In preparation for celebrations of his 250th year, we’re presenting this charming scene from his only opera. Jaquino is desperate to seal the deal and marry Marzelline, but her attention has been won by Fidelio. Who will win in this war of wills?
• Giulio Cesare – “Son nata a lagrimar” – IN ITALIAN with subtitles– In this scene from Handel’s masterpiece opera, Cornelia and her son Sesto have been thwarted in their attempts to avenge the death of Pompeo, husband and father to them. Sesto has been caught in the attempt and is to be arrested. They mourn their fate as Act I ends.
• A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder – “I’ve Decided to Marry You” – In this 2014 Tony-award-winning musical, Monty is enjoying a quiet conversation with his paramour Sibella. She is married to another even though she and Monty are terribly in love. They are so in love that she has forbidden him to marry for love, only for status as she did. During this conversation they are interrupted by the arrival of Phoebe, who has decided that she will marry Monty. He now is caught quite literally between two women.
• She’s Fabulous – (Tony Solitro) Indiana premiere - Composed in 2016, She’s Fabulous is Tony Solitro’s take on the catty rivalry between divas. Clarice and Bethel are at the theater watching a colleague perform a role they auditioned for and hate to admit that “She’s Fabulous.”
• Lakmé – Act 1 Duet “Sous le dôme épais” – 6 IN FRENCH with subtitles – While her father has gone to the temple, he sends Lakme with her maid Malika to the river to gather flowers. This famous duet has appeared in countless advertisements and films. See if you recognize it!
• Così fan Tutte – Act 1 Scene 3 – IN ITALIAN with subtitles – In Mozart’s comic masterpiece, Don Alfonso has bet Guglielmo and Ferrando that their sweethearts Fiordiligi and Dorabella are not faithful, that, in fact All Women Are Like That (Cosi fan Tutte) which he will be happy to prove to them if they agree to follow his instructions. Alfonso enlists the help of the girls’ maid Despina in the plot. Already the guys have told their loves that they have been called to action on a far off battle line and pretended to sail away. What does Don Alfonso have planned next and will the girls be able to withstand the temptations of other men?