Butler Community Arts School - Butler Youth Jazz Program
Sundays | 1:00–3:00 PM
Lilly Hall at Butler University
Registration Deadline: October 2, 2022
Fall 2022 session: October 16–November 6
Spring 2023 session: Dates TBD
Join the Butler Youth Jazz Program for BYJP Combos! Students will be split into combos and work with local jazz professionals to hone their jazz skills. One prior year of experience on your instrument is required. A placement audition is required with your registration. There will be a final performance at the Jazz Kitchen on November 6 at noon.
Placement audition requirements:
- Prepared jazz piece of student’s choice
- 4 Scales of your choice (major, chromatic, mixolydian, etc.) – except drummers
- Improvisation on a 12-bar Bb blues
- Drummers, demonstrate 16-bars of 3 styles (medium swing, latin/bossa, rock/funk)
- Guitar and piano, prepared piece should demonstrate comping
- Bass, prepared piece should demonstrate bass lines (your piece should include this)
Tuition is due at least one week prior to the first session.
Need-based tuition assistance is available. You may apply for scholarship on the registration form or complete the separate Tuition Assistance Form.
Contact BCAS@butler.edu or 317-940-5500 with any questions.