Butler Community Arts School - Jazz Camp
Ages 12–18 | Vocal Jazz track for ages 14–18 or rising grades 9-12
2021 Jazz Camp: July 10–15 (Mon-Fri, 9:00 AM–5:00 PM) Due to the ever-evolving nature of the pandemic, all information is subject to change.
Tuition: $425 commuter (includes lunch daily); $775 residential (14 and up) (includes dorm stay and 3 meals per day)
Registration deadline: May 1
This weeklong jazz camp provides the opportunity for youth to participate in a fun and intense jazz-learning experience under the direction of professional staff led by Matt Pivec, director of jazz studies at Butler University. The faculty will include local jazz professionals.
Jazz camp is open to students ages 12–18 (campers who are 18 and have not yet matriculated at a college are eligible to attend camp). No audition is required for admission to camp; all levels are welcome. A placement audition and at least one year of prior study on your instrument is required. We welcome all traditional Jazz instruments such as saxophone, trumpet, trombone, upright bass, guitar, piano, percussion, and voice (ages 15–18 or rising grades 9-12 only) as well as more non-traditional instruments such as flute, clarinet, oboe, or violin. If questions, please inquire at BCAS@butler.edu.
Placement Audition | due by June 20
Students are required to submit a digital placement audition to BCAS@butler.edu. Must be in .mp3 or .mp4 or .mov file type.
Placement audition requirements:
- F major scale 2 octaves and Db major scale 1 octave in quarter notes at 120bpm
- Walk a F blues for 2 choruses. Medium tempo. If you don’t know blues, any walking line or bass line you’ve been working on will do. No bass solos.
- Reading: record the written line in the pdf.
- Guitar and piano:
- Jazz selection of your choice: Play with a backing track. For each, play melody, improvise 1 chorus, and comp chords 1 chorus
- Major scales, as many keys as you can: both hands, 1-2 octaves
- Jazz selection of your choice
- 8 measures of as many of the following grooves as possible: Medium Swing, Ballad (w/brushes), Bossa Nova, Funk, Jazz Waltz
- Jazz selection of your choice.
- Major Scales (as many as you can play well, at a tempo and range you can play well).
- Improvisation with a background track of your choice (strongly encouraged). You may select from the following Butler University Jazz Program Videos if you wish.
Campers should provide their own instrument. Guitarists should provide their own amp. **There are separate requirements specific to the Vocal Jazz Track (ages 15–18), please see details below.
Vocal Jazz Track:
The Vocal Jazz Track is open to ages 14–18 or rising grades 9-12 only. All levels are welcome, but we strongly recommend at least one year of prior choral experience and/or vocal lessons. No prior jazz experience required. In order to participate, registrants must provide a letter of recommendation from his/her current private vocal teacher or choral director. Enrollment is limited, please register early.
Vocal jazz, or jazz singing, is an instrumental approach to the voice, where the singer can match the instruments in their stylistic approach to the lyrices, improvised or otherwise. Students will be able to build their skills by singing in a jazz vocal ensemble, performing for each other in masterclasses, and participating in jazz theory, improvisation, and jazz history classes.
Registration form, $50 non-refundable deposit, and remaining tuition are due in full by May 1. Payment plans available. All refund requests must be submitted via email to BCAS@butler.edu. No refunds will be issued after May 1. Payments can be made online by selecting “Make a Payment” on the BCAS homepage. Late applications may be accepted on the basis of available space.
Need-based scholarships are available for ages 18 and under; you may apply for scholarship on the camp registration form OR complete the separate Scholarship Application Form.
Contact BCAS@butler.edu or 317-940-5500 with any questions.